Thursday, June 17, 2010

L-I-B-R-A-R-Y!!

The girls and I went to story time at the local library.  It was great - they had one geared towards 0-1 year and another for 2-5 years.  We went to both.

Turns out they have a great summer reading program for both age groups.  For the babes, we do 16 "reading ready" activities such as sing a song, clap to a rhyme, and talk about what we're looking at.  The reward is a new board book.  In two days we're already done!  For the 2-5 age group, it's reading time.  20 minutes per chunk.  45 chunks.  Ummm.... correct me if I'm wrong, but that's 15 hours of reading.  Man, things get tough when you're not a baby! We're already on hour 3 though, so it shouldn't be a problem.

One thing the director was saying was kids need to be read about 1000 books from birth to when they start kindergarden to be ready for school.  I did a little math, and Robin should be ready by age six months.

No comments: