Thursday, November 1, 2012

It's pumpkin season!!!

This time of year I get so excited by the absolutely delicious canned pumpkin on the shelves at Trader Joes. I learned my lesson from last year and stocked up - those suckers fly off the shelves and when they're gone, that's it until next year.

I've already done a pumpkin bread, the spiced pumpkin scones from yesteryear, pumpkin muffins, pass on the pumpkin pancakes since no one liked them.

New this year is Pumpkin Milk Bread, a pin, and it was delicious!!!!  Light, slight pumpkin flavor but not overpowering, really tender.  It made two loafs:

Pumpkin Milk Loaf

this one was threatening to go stale, so I had to think fast.  What better goes with pumpkin than .... pumpkin!!!  And so was born the pumpkin bread pumpkin bread pudding.  The bread pudding recipe was here, and I used the whole pumpkin loaf here.  That's a lot of pumpkin in one bowl, my friends.  Since it was basically a mix and dump recipe (not a fan of that term, but it is what it is), the girls cut the bread cubes and mixed the pumpkin custard.  

Pumpkin Bread Pudding 2

It was all I love about pumpkin pie (the ooey gooey spice, pumpkin flavor, warm silky goodness) and nothing that I don't like (chewy, dry, soggy, or otherwise questionable pie crust).


Pumpkin Bread Pudding 1

Soooooo delicious!!!  Next time, if I have more time in advance, I'll make a salted caramel sauce with maybe some candied pecans or walnuts to go on top.


No comments: