Friday, June 3, 2011

Recipe corner: crunchy kale

This was totally not my idea.  It was Jaques Pepin.  But I can't believe I didn't think of it myself.  It's easy, it's tasty, it's addictive, and it's healthy.  What more can you ask from a vegetable, particularly one with such a questionable reputation as kale.

Oven: 250-300F
Ingredients:
One bunch kale, washed, dried and torn into bite-sized pieces.  You don't need the ribs.
One tablespoon olive oil
Sprinkles of sea salt

Toss ingredients together.  Spread on a cookie cooling rack over a cookie sheet. Try to get it as mono-layer as possible.  Bake for 20 minutes, or more or less.


It will be crisp, crunchy, very fragile.  We gave some to the girls and they loved smooshing it to green powder.  I don't think they actually at any of it.


We, however, ate the entire bunch.


Such a delicious way to get your greens.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

I recently tried kale for the first time. I sauteed it in olive oil with garlic and then added water and a couple handfuls of spinach. I thought it was delicious. John not so much.

Dr. A said...

B and I really love greens. I have a standard-ish way of wilting with garlic, then mixing with a balsamic vinegar reduction with a touch of sugar and salt mixed in. If we've got hazelnuts or something else yummy, those get crushed and mixed in as well. We never have leftovers of that either.

Christie said...

Kale chips! We made these awhile back and I remember being pleasantly surprised. They would have been much better had I not over-salted the poor greens but I'm with you. Yum-my!

Abcdpdx said...

we love "green chips"! but don't make them with old kale, I have learned. yuck.

amycs said...

We call them super-food-salt-delivery systems in our house. I love them!