Friday, August 26, 2011

Easy skirts, attempt 5

Every girl in Erin's phonebook will get skirts this year for their birthday.  I made this one last weekend for her BFF Ella.


 Cute fabric, no? I made Erin a matching one, since it was her BFF and all.


I liked the fabric so much I bought 2.8 yards of it, all they had.  And for the size all the girls are now it's just about perfect: the width of the bolt is a tad bigger than the recommended 2x waist size.  The heart pattern is length-wise so I figure I can get about 7 skirts out of the deal, costing about $3 per skirt (including the cute pink trim).

Orders anyone?

7 comments:

Dr. Powell said...

Love it! Great Job! I have visions of making these cute tutus for Ev's friends this year... yeah, we'll see. :-)

Christie said...

We can change the attempt to mastered now. Those are adorable!

Dr. A said...

Christie, I have one more little part I'm not happy with - I think I need to have a smoother finish for the inside top edge. I tried the pseudo-serging via zig-zag stitch, but think I need to just bit the bullet and do a fold-over kinda thing. Any suggestions from your sewing class?

Deanne said...

Impressive! I declare there is nothing you can't do. :)

Anonymous said...

that is adorable! Now I just need to have a girl so I can order one from you!
Laura Uschyk

Corby S. said...

I love them, let me know when you're taking orders officially. :) The girls love skirts, especially K in her dance class.

Nicole, Billy, Timothy and Lyla said...

Ashleigh, for a smooth finish on the waistband casing, I just fold the fabric over about 1/4", iron, then fold it down again (as wide as it needs to be for the elastic) and pin all the way around. Then I just sew it about 1/8" from the bottom edge, and I get a very nice, finished seam inside.

And the skirt is adorable!! You inspired me to get my machine out again yesterday. :)